I found a delightful looking recipe for Bacon & Corn Risotto and I knew it was the perfect use for the bag of Arborio rice I had in the cabinet. But I didn’t have corn or even bacon. But I did have zucchini, a bubbling pot of chicken stock (from our chickens!) and a bowl of homemade mascarpone.
Don’t be scared! Risotto really isn’t that bad, just takes a while.
- 2 C Arborio rice
- 1 T Butter
- 7 C Chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 C Zucchini, shredded
- ¼ C Mascarpone cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Shredded fresh basil
- Bring stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan
- Melt butter in heavy bottomed stock pot, add rice and stir to coat, toast lightly over medium heat for 1-2 minutes
- Add stock ½cup at at time, stirring constantly and waiting until the liquid is mostly absorbed before adding the next cup.
- After adding 5 cups of stock stir in the shredded zucchini and add salt and pepper. I used homemade stock and we don't salt it until we use it, if you're using purchased stock you might not need to add any.
- Depending on how much water your zucchini has add another 2-3 cups of stock, continuing to stir. The rice should be creamy but still firm in the center.
- Divide between bowls, top with a fresh mascarpone and shredded basil. Serve warm.