Christmas Tree Ornaments for your tree! Who doesn’t love using up scraps? I love squeezing every last drop out of my craft supplies, mostly because I hate to throw things out but also because I’m always on a budget.
I used my sewing machine to put these together but you could easily make them by hand, that would make them a nice portable project.
- Fabric – green for the trees, brown for the trunk
- Twine for the hangers
- Sewing machine or needle & thread
- Cut 2 triangles from the tree fabric and 2 rectangles from the brown
- Sew around three sides of the ‘trunk’ and stuff it lightly
- Sew the two long sides of the tree, sandwiching the twine between the fabric at the point, stuffing lightly
- Stick the trunk into the tree and sew the whole she-bang closed
I used 2 colors of thread in my sewing machine, lime in the bobbin and olive in the needle just to add some extra fun.
The fastest way to whip up a whole stuffed forest is to cut multiple trees at a time using a rotary knife and mat. Always use a sharp blade and watch your fingers!
My trees are four inches wide at the bottom and five inches tall plus another inch or so for the trunk. I think it’s a great ornament size but you could make smaller trees (2 inches wide, 3 inches tall) for mini-ornaments or even bigger if you had a giant tree or wanted to hang them from a door knob or as part of a wreath