Our walls are looking pretty sad these days so when we took down the slap-dash DVD shelves to paint the nursery I saved the boards to make something pretty. The kitchen was first on the list and with Valentine’s Day coming up fast this seemed like the perfect time to make some food related subway art.
- 2 lengths of 24 inch long 1*6 board
- 2 lengths of 10.5 inch long 1*3/4 board
- Wood stain (I used Minwax Special Walnut)
- Screws and Drill OR Nail Gun
- 12 * 24 inch sheet of vinyl
- Hook for weeding
- Transfer paper
- Red and White paint
- Dollar store cosmetic sponges
- 2 small eye hooks and wire for hanging
- Stain all surfaces of the wood and let dry. Expect this to take forever, don’t be like me and think this will all be done in a few hours. After about 24 hours your should be good. Stick a piece of scrap vinyl (the inside of one of the letters you weeded works well) to the front and if it sticks you’re good.
- Cut your vinyl (this was my first time cutting on vinyl without a cutting mat and I was no nervous I had to leave the room. It came out really well though!
- While you’re waiting for the wood to dry weed the vinyl, again this will take longer than you’d think. Go slow and be careful of the insides of e’s. While weeding I realized I messed up my spacing and a few layers overlapped. Don’t worry I fixed it in the cut file.
- When the wood (finally) dries it’s time to put it all together. Lay the large boards face down and figure out how you want them spaces, I used an old metal brace to designate a scant 1/4 inch spacing. Place the small boards perpendicular to the large boards dividing roughly them into 3rds. Screw/nail them into place (I ended up using staples because I only had 1 3/4 inch nails for the nail gun and they would have stuck out through the boards)
- Apply the vinyl using transfer tape. Remember, if the stain isn’t 100% dry the vinyl won’t stick and you’ll be sad. I was sad. I didn’t have any transfer paper so I used opaque contact paper from the dollar store. Opaque contact paper sucks so don’t try it unless you’re desperate.
- Use the cosmetic sponges paint over the vinyl using a VERY dry sponge and an up and down dabbing motion. Put a blob of paint on a scrap parer (I put it on the discarded vinyl backing) dip your sponge in and blot off most of the paint. Do several thin coats and it cuts back on bleeding. I used white paint for the letters and red for the hearts. I was rushing because the baby was starting to fuss and I ended up with some oozing, keep the layers light and you should be golden.
- The paint shouldn’t take long to dry and as soon as it is you get to weed the whole thing again! Technically it may not be weeding but it’s the same process, again, I can’t recommend the hook enough.
- Screw the two eye hooks to the back above the top brace. String the wire through the eye hooks and secure it in a loose loop.
- Hang it up!
The Silhouette Studio file is available here. The fonts used for this project at all from Kimberly Geswein and are available at Dafont.
To the best of my memory they are: KG Behind These Hazel Eyes, KG Dark Side, KG Seven Sixteen, KG Somebody I Used to Know, KG Sweet n’ Sassy, KG This Is Not Goodbye and KG True Colors. The heart is from KG Heart Doodles.