I cut piles of triangular pennants from the scrap bin at work (bonus of working for a sewing company!). I used browns, reds, yellows, oranges and off whites; but you could use any colors that contrast with your lace. White on white would also be pretty. I had a bag of lace from Mikes late Grandmother, I thought it would be a nice way to involve her in the wedding.
You can make a nice banner with only 5 pennants, I generally find that odd numbers look the best but you can use what ever number you like.
Start by folding over tops of the pennants and ironing the flaps down. Then stitch across the top with a straight stitch. You will have a channel to run your twine through.
Next start adding the lace. Switch the machine to a zig-zag and change the thread color if desired.I wanted the lace to start in the same place on all of the pennants so I lined up the top of the pennant with the edge of the metal plate. That also helps keep your line straight.
Stitch a line across the pennant along the top of the lace. Trim the lace following the lines of the pennant.
Keep going until you run out of lace, pennants or patience.
When you’re all done sewing string the pennants on twine and hang the banner.
5 down, 200 to go!
The features from two weeks ago:
My next tutorial was for my Giant Lawn Spider Webs. Since we’re strolling down memory lane I’ll share another fact, I got my very first comment from that post! AND my first follower!
Ok enough about that!
I decided to spice up my lawn spiders this year:
I’ve got so many notebooks hanging around. I must have some type of phobia about them though. I can’t bring my self to start scribbling in a brand new notebook. I write on scrap paper all the time but I need a way to organize the pieces.
A quick trip to Staples and I came up with this:
It’s like a real life Pinterest!
I bought a bunch of memo-sized clip boards (6×9) for $2 each. I spray painted each one with aqua paint from the stash and let it dry. I cut out three lace patterns from contact paper with my silhouette. I adhered them over the aqua, blocked off the top and spray painted them with green chalkboard paint.
After letting the paint cure for 24 hours I rubbed chalk dust over the green and labeled each board, I love that you can switch out the label whenever you want.
I used three Command strips to hang them on the door. I hot glued a piece of felt to the bottom of each board so they don’t slam against the door when it shuts. As you can see about I cut them out really carefully. If you had foam stickers or adhesive backed felt it would also work.
In case you’re curious about my scribbling these are two examples. I usually draw something and write a whole lot of random stuff, usually accompanied by a list of supplies and/or methods. I’ve got 3 more clip boards so I might be adding another row if this method works out for me.
One of my first blog projects: Giant Lawn Spiderwebs
With the exception of the odd furniture revamp or garden post the majority of my projects have a holiday, or at least season at heart. And as a holiday crafter, this is the dry season.
From the 4th of July to the beginning of fall is a crafting wasteland.
The rest of my Christmas Projects are listed on my Christmas Page
Even my super-fall-centric wedding is out of place. No one wants to look at mums and falling leaves while they’re laying on the beach.
I’ve got a few major projects in the works:
Some yummy Banana Cupcakes from Shaken Together:
Three yummy pies from What Amber Loves: