I started with:
one failed painting, 4 mini wooden picket fences, blue and white paint, green vinyl, white buttons, spring-y paper, hot glue and my Slice.
I love how it turned out but I have no idea where to put it!
He’s a bit slow sometimes.
Despite looking like a garage door, this actually leads into the basement.
And directly above it is a window.
This is the window I yell out when I want to take a shower and Mike is filling water and I want to know how freakin long it could possibly take because I JUST WANT TO WASH MY HAIR.
Anyways, those foot prints belong to Mr. Fluff.
He gets all sorts of confused when I yell out the window.
He can hear mommy.
But he can’t see mommy.
And that it not nice.
So until my dog learns to look up (or I stop yelling out windows) I’ll have muddy paw prints on my basement doors.
|I tried to do all of one color at a time to cut back on brush washing|
|Ignore the random junk. We still haven’t unpacked the garage, don’t judge!|
|We wanted it to stand away from the barn to inhibit moisture retention|
|View from the road|
|Before touch up|
Linked up at Farmgirl Friday
I’ve been working on my super awesome project for the last two days.
Hopefully I’ll have it done and ready to share by Tuesday when I have help putting it up.
Got a bit side tracked when a neighbor stopped by to tell me my turkey was down by her barn.
Cut to 1 hour traipsing trough the woods looking for the hen.
Almost caught her once but then she got away.
We lost her about 1/2 mile from the house so I’m hoping she’ll hear the toms (all 4 are gobbling up a storm these days) and make it back.
So far we’ve been incredibly lucky with predators. We’ve lost one duck and 2 polish hens that refused to go in the barn at night, preferring the life threatening strategy of sitting in the middle of a field.
|Who wouldn’t come back for this? Check out that beard!|
I’ll keep you updated!
I made this last year, when we first moved in to decorate for the summer. Unfortunately I doesn’t say ‘summer’ to me.
But it does say Spring!
If I recall correctly, I used 3 whole spools of ribbon and a handful of vintage buttons.
I’m sure you can find a dozen tutorials online!
Very happy to have some tulips coming up right in front!
One more close up:
Love these buttons!
Update: This wreath stayed up all summer and while the ribbon faded quite a bit I didn’t lose a singe rosette even with the strong winds we get at the front of our house.
Wandering around Lowe’s looking for stuff for the clothesline.
Somehow, even though Mike was with me I came home with a plant.
Not just any plant.
A fig. A Chicago Hardy Fig.
I agonized over it. I’ve had a fig before, but my dog ate it.
Or at least tried to. He dragged it out of the pot and around the house no fewer than 3 times.
By some miracle the stars aligned and we found a clearance hammock at Lowes days after we officially moved into the new house. The stars stayed aligned and we happen to have 2 quaking aspen the perfect distance apart to hang that hammock. In the summer the trees fill out and when the wind blows the leaves rustle and it sounds like gentle rain. From the hammock I can see the pasture and the garden, as well as the future site of the orchard (more on that later)
This past weekend we did a lot of work out side, including putting up the hammock.
Let me tell you it took lots of will power to stay out of that baby.
Eventually I gave in and then this happened:
(ignore the colors, they mean NOTHING!)
But the end product is big!
I’m going to make a barn quilt, 4×4 feet. So each block above will be 2ft x 2ft.
I’m not sure on colors yet, I want to keep it simple, probably 5 colors. This side of the barn faces the road so I’d like it to not look awful.
As you may have realized, I suck at quilting. Not the actual craft, just the whole getting started thing.
But I’ve had The Farmer’s Wife Sampler Quilt book for a while and I like to look at it all the time AND I’ve been saying I’ll make a barn quilt since before I even had a barn.
Combine the two and hopefully I’ll get a nice decoration for right here between the windows:
Like how the barn is two colors? When we move in it was a 3 sided shed. Lots of money later we had a second half, two doors and three windows. Sophia, the cow, learned how to open the windows (theirs in the one one the left) and had since removed 2 screens.
Someday the whole thing will all be blue metal, we’ll likely get it done just after the blue fades enough that they never match.
But that’s gotta wait, at least until the wood is no longer useable, or we win the lottery.
What do you thing? Color wise or pattern wise
Do you like the block I chose?
Should I include ‘sashing’? (I’m leaning to yes)
1. Post these rules.
2. Post a photo of yourself and 11 random things.
3. Answer the questions set for you in the original post.
4. Create 11 new questions and tag people to answer them.
5. Go to their blog/twitter and tell them you’ve tagged them.
1. I am actually engaged, I have a pretty sparkly and everything. But I HATE the word fiance so I call Mike my boyfriend
2. I have a barbell through the top of my nose. I got it done (the first time) when I was 18, had it out for a year or so then got it done again. It didn’t hurt and I forget its there until someone pinches the bridge of their nose and squints at me asking if it hurt.
3. I used to dye my hair A LOT. It’s been every shade of drug store auburn available, platinum blonde and full out cotton candy blue. I stopped a few years ago and now its a pretty boring dark blond with some red (My moms a ginger!)
4. I feel better covered in dirt
5. I hate wearing shoes
6. I am a kodak certified photo lab technician (seriously! I worked in the photo lab at CVS for 2 years in high school)
7. I’m a pet food snob and I can’t stand people who have ‘outside’ dogs (one exception:livestock guide dogs that live with their protectees in the barn)
8. I used to know all the mammals in NY state by latin name and common name. Used to know a lot of insects too
9. I am not squeamish at all, blood, guts, poo… nothing bothers me
10. I have a tattoo on my inner right ankle of Cornus canadensus
11. I got hit in the eye by a cat toy when I was a kid and had to wear a pirate patch. I swear my eye lid droops but no one else sees it
Questions from Jamie:
1. If money, schooling or time was no obstacle, what career would you choose?
Chiots Run – about ‘simple living’ gardening and such
One Dog Woof – Awesome Crafts and Food
Scissors and Steam – She’s nuts, just nuts. Also crafty and fun
When people comment “I follow you now you have to follow me”
It’s so rude! It drives me nuts. Usually it’s also a blog that I have no interest in at all!
Seriously, I follow over 100 blogs in my reader I’m not following one I don’t want to read just so you can get your numbers up
Changes with my mood but at the moment I’ve been listening to Eric Church and Brantley Gilbert
Got tagged by Melissa @My Meller too:
1. If you could be an animal, what would you be and why?
I’d be my dog or my cat. Probably the dog so I could go out side
2. What is the accomplishment that you are most proud of?
Graduating from college with honors from a freakin hard program (BS in Wildlife Science from SUNY ESF)
3. What is your favorite breakfast cereal?
Cheerios. or granola. Or fruity pebbles but I haven’t had them in years
4.Do you fall into the stereotype of your birth order? Oldest sibling? The baby? Only child?
Oldest – probably, my sister definitely fits the baby stereotype!
5. What is your favorite household chore?
I really like to iron
6. What is your LEAST favorite household chore?
I hate to clean the bathrooms. Luckily Mike does it because he likes to soak everything in bleach
7. If you are sitting down alone, what do you watch on TV?
Sons of Anarchy. Or some documentary type show (LOVE Fatal Attraction on Animal Planet but it’s not online and we don’t have TV service)
8. What would be one word to describe your personality?
9. How often do you check your email?
Way too much
10. What is the most interesting thing in your purse right now?
I had a flashlight but my sisters boyfriend took it. It was magnetic and it had a hook! I miss it
11. How tall are you? Would you rather be taller or shorter?
I’m 5’10ish. I like being this height. I’d hate to be short and too much taller would make buying clothing impossible
1. Could/would you live alone on mountain for a year (you can have a dog)?
2. Do you still have a teddy bear/stuffed animal?
3. Would you rather swim in a lake, the ocean or a pool?
4. How do you feel about cruise ships?
5. What is your favorite vegetable and how do you like to eat it?
6. Do/would you let your dog sleep in your bed?
7. How do you feel about spiders in the house?
8. Do you still talk to people from high school/college?
9. Are you like your SO’s mother? Is he like your father?
10. In the car: windows down or AC?
11. Do you eat seasonally?
I’d love to hear from anyone but I’m tagging: