I’ve had this bench for years, my grandfather made it for me for my… 16th? birthday? It sat on my moms lawn for many years until it was delivered to our house my by uncle and my very happy mother. I intended to give it a new coat of white paint and power wash the plastic lattice last year but it never happened and the bench sat lonely (and ugly) beside the driveway. Well last weekend while we were waiting for the man to pick up the cows (they have literally gone to a farm upstate, we found a new home for them because they were a lot to handle with the new baby) my brother-in-law got antsy and decided they should move RIGHT THEN! So my husband, nephew and two brothers-in-law carried it down the slippery lawn to it’s final resting place.
I was pretty late signing up for the A-Z craft month so pickings were slim when it came to letter options. I happened to have an x-acto knife on my desk at the time so I snapped up the ‘X’ spot with little to no idea of a project. I discovered a huge bag of wine corks in my craft room and that’s when this idea was born.
Side note: a few weeks ago I sliced my finger open with a dull x-acto knife and ended up in the ER for some fancy super glue. Let me be your cautionary tale, don’t be stupid with these things! They can be dangerous! [Read more...]
I have a pile of diaper covers (bloomers?) from dresses I’ve bought my little girl. I find them pointless for a few reasons. Mostly because we use cloth diapers and the covers don’t fit over them. The other reason is we usually stick tights under the dresses and that’s just one more layer to take of a squiggly baby when she poops (again).
It’s the 2nd Monday of the month and that means it’s time for the Silhouette Challenge! If you’re unfamiliar the full details are at the bottom, along with 44 links to other participants. This month I decided to make a new curtain for the kitchen window, check out yesterdays post for instructions on sewing your own window valance.
Tomorrow I’ll be sharing how I decorated this little number but tonight I’ll be sharing how I put it together. When we first moved in I whipped up a simple valance but since then we’ve painted the dining room dark rust and found new dark brown curtains for the sliding glass doors so I wasn’t feeling the peachy fabric. This project requires more sewing than my burlap curtains (which are still holding up despite the best efforts of 3 cats and a rabbit) but can still be completed in a few hours or less.