We managed to get it in the back for his truck and then home.
She was pretty rough looking. The rain had done it’s best to damage the buffet. The veneer was bubbly, large pieces were peeling off. There were no knobs on the drawers. The trim on the back was barely attached. She was missing a wheel and the drawers didn’t close.
I peeled off the loose pieces of veneer. The rest was removed with a vinegar/water solution and a putty knife. Some tricky spots were finessed with an iron with the steam turned all the way up.
It took patience and some elbow grease but it was done in one afternoon. The sides were the hardest, my iron only steams when it’s horizontally flat so it was up to the vinegar. I soaked a piece of fleece and smoothed it against the stubborn pieces of veneer to hold the liquid to the wood.
(I did this in my living room, it was in the middle of the high 90′s streak and I have central air)
I scraped the adhesive off as I went.
Did I mention I left it in my garage for a month? When I opened the side cabinets they looked like this:
I wiped them out with straight vinegar and it hasn’t come back.
I painted her in Valspar Beeswax. It took a few coats to get good coverage. After the yellow dried I added some detail with brown acrylic and some Valspar glaze. It was my first time using the glaze, I put the brown where I wanted it with a brush and then dipped a cloth in the glaze and rubbed it over the paint until it looked the way I wanted it to.
Check out those legs!
(Ignore the golden retriever hair, we sweep, I swear we do)
The metal rooster sign came from my sister, it’s hanging on two thumbtacks (because I’m classy)
I replaced the knobs with these from Lowes. They weren’t my first choice but they were cheap and I liked the size.